Monday, August 18, 2008

Saturday is the day!

I am meeting my friend, Kerrie, in Biggs, OR this weekend to pick up Nite Hitman from her. She has been gracious enough to transport many horses for people. I am usually just the layover spot. Now, I get to keep one and he doesn't go anywhere afterward. Well, maybe a trainer next year.

Nite Hitman is going to be a great horse. I have no expectations other than a slightly bejiggity 3 year old gelding. Since I am used to cranky mares, this will be a fun addition to the herd dynamic. We have two geldings currently, but Nite will differ from them both significantly.

One gelding is very old, but my favorite horse ever. I promised him the summer and he is going downhill (metaphorically) quickly. He is a rescue from a feedlot and I think he held on until he knew his job was done. I don't think he's ever had the chance to just relax.

Our other gelding is a 4-year-old Kiger mustang rescue. He was horribly abused, emaciated, and now, after a couple of years of very gentle groundwork, we can get a halter on him every time and he's worn a saddle. He's not easy, but very beautiful, and affectionate once a person has won his trust.

Nite Hitman comes without too much baggage compared to these guys. Maybe he'll be the rush of reality that needs to be injected occasionally into my ragamuffin herd. A pal to hang out with over the fence and play chase with the others. I can't wait to see him run!

Kerrie, thank you for the help with Nite Hitman. He's a gem. I just know it.

* * * * *

I stayed up later than should be allowed on a Sunday night to watch Michael Phelps interview with Bob Costas on TIVO. It was fun to see him evaluate himself on his swims and the elation of the relays all over again. What a great athlete.

No comments: