Thursday, September 4, 2008

Leg getting better

A few days ago I dismantled the round pen to create individual areas for all the horses so we don't trample the pastures (again) all winter long. It seems to be working well. Pie and Flame are on a trip with Adam. Phelps will be done with his meds by the time they get back, so will put Shelby in with Phelps, Chavez and Dani in together, Flame and Pie, then Belle by herself.

This plan works if they stay healthy. Kali came today and after she was finished with Chavez said to watch him, he has a nasty fly bite on his belly. She's concerned for Pigeon Fever. Nice.

Belle's eye is goopy, probably from the dust swirling around, but didn't notice anything weirdly large on Chavez. Time will tell.

Phelps' leg is healing quickly. No excessive swelling and I'm not wrapping the lower part of his leg anymore. He is NOT happy when I try to squirt the anti-mastitis goop into the hole in his leg. I don't really blame him. I probably won't be able to do it past tomorrow anyway, unless I want to poke another hole in his leg to do it.

His nose has a few scrapes from learning to get his head out of the feed door quickly. Those 5 seconds of open door before the food arrives are laced with panic.

He eats so much! I thought Shelby was somehow Hoovering his hay from his side to hers, but I just don't think that's possible. He must be eating it all. I leave quite a few flakes at the morning and night feedings, thinking that certainly that will be enough and will probably hold him all day. It's always licked clean, including his grain, well before the next feeding. I will need to buy more hay.

It's been kind of an unfortunate few days. Just busy, things not going quite right...but I think I'll get back into the swing of things soon. I'll get my schedule organized better when Levi starts school next week and will be able to take more pictures and be current on Phelps and the other blogs.

No comments: